"if it's good news, it must be someone else's"

Sunday, June 14, 2020

Twitter

I've been a member of Twitter since August 2008. I remember thinking then, "This is stupid. Who cares what I'm doing? Who cares what I think? And why do I have to tweet what nobody cares about in handful of characters?" Well, it's been almost twelve years now and I still ask, who cares?

So why? Why do it? I think the way I respond to notifications that someone retweeted or liked one of my tweets, indicates vanity is lurking about in all this. And when the notification is that someone is following me, I'm, for the moment, kind of goofy proud about it. But none of this is enough to keep me plugging along as I do.

I think what I really enjoy is being a freakin' wise guy. A smart ass. If you knew me in person, not through the prism of anonymity that Twitter provides, you would come to know a guy who is relatively calm, cool and collected. Strike the cool. I avoid conflicts. It's an occupation of mine. That's what I do and I do it well.

But put me on Twitter and I become something else. And I have to say, it's been therapeutic. For instance, enter Donald Trump. Look, I hate the fellow. Oh, I know. Hate is a strong word Bob. Yes it is, which is why I stand by it. I hate him and I process everyone of his tweets as if he slapped me  in the face. And boy do I unload. Crisp one-liners. Crackling criticism. All with the humor of wise crackin' lounge comedian. And it feels lemony refreshing.

So I guess if I had to summarize why I tweet, it would be fueled by a smidgeon of vanity and ignited by a hefty dose of comedic bravado protected by the cloak of anonymity. Yeah. That would be it.

No comments: