"if it's good news, it must be someone else's"

Monday, February 9, 2009

(from the files) 287. tell me i’m adopted

yesterday there was a family college graduation party for my niece.
all my brothers were there.
some of you may have felt a sudden drop in your positive energy flow.
that was us.
when we get together, it’s like we are stuck in eighth grade.
one thing led to another, and before we knew it, we were taking cell phone pictures of us placing a mini-me doll in what i can only describe as compromising puppet situations.

it was at that moment when my son begged me to tell him he was adopted.
i told him i was certain he wasn’t.
he walked away, shoulders drooped, brokenhearted.
i smiled a crooked grin as i thought, it’s only a matter of time before he gives in to the urges that run through his blood, before he embraces his genetic non-skippers, before he comes over to the dark side.

No comments: