"if it's good news, it must be someone else's"

Thursday, March 3, 2011

gunpowder and beer

if you ever went through the effort of making beer, you know an awful lot has to happen to get it right.
i imagine gunpowder is the same story.
that leads me to wonder occasionally, who was the first guy who actually said, hey, give me a little grain, sugar and let’s see, some of that there yeast! i’ve got an idea!
or how about the fella who said, so ya take your mixture of charcoal and sulfur and add a little of your saltpeter and … bang!

but the more i think about it the more i think it didn't happened that way.
more likely beer and gunpowder were the direct outcome of a public challenge, a sputnik moment if you will, to invent a more fun way for guys to celebrate stuff.
and i guess when all was said and done, impaired motor skills, diminished smart thinking, and blowing up things where at the top of the "more man fun must include" list.

1 comment:

Pam said...

I have to be careful here. 'Cause my last name is...Beers. My friends call me "six-pack".

As far as the gunpowder is concerned, my grandfather & I used to throw firecrackers into the hot charcoal grill. I sure do miss that man.